홈으로 History/Culture > Origin of District Name

Origin of District Name

Namcheon-dong

The name Namcheon came from the Namcheon River. Namcheon River starts in Mt. Hwangnyeong valley on the border between Daeyeon-dong and Namcheon-dong and flows into Suyeong Bay.
Tracing back the origin of Namcheon-dong a bit, we can find in the Sanchonjo of Dongnaebu"s document that Namcheon was about 20 away from the Dongnae citadel.
If you turn your eyes to the other side, you may see an inlet called Namcheonpo.
It is located at the southern part of the Dongnae and has a fishing ground.
The whole area around the fishing ground is called Namcheon-man. Namcheon-dong actually indicates a broad place, which encompasses all the coastlines in-between Namcheon-man and Daeyon-dong.
According to the Dongnaebu map of Gyeongsangnam-do, a tip of the Wooam peninsula was called Ohaeyahang and Namcheon includes the uplifted areas of the Northern inner part of the mountain in Daeyeon-dong implying that Namcheon was a wide area.

Suyeong-dong

During the Joseon dynasty, the place hosted Gyeongsangjwado Sugun Jeoldosayeong.
The name, Suyeong-dong stemmed from such history as "SU" from "Sugun" and "Yeong" from "Jeoldosayeong".
In the 13th year of the reign of King Injo (1635), GyoengsangjawSuyeong had to move to Gammanpo because of the flood in Sacheon (Currently called the Suyeong river), which collapsed waterways used by military vessels.
It came back to Dongnae during the 3rd year of the reign of King Hyojong (1652) and stayed there for about 243 years. Suyeong citadel of 1,193bo around and 13cheok high was built.
At first the name Suyeongdong was to merely indicate the inside areas of the citadel but it has been gradually extended. Today Suyeong-dong includes four ris such as Dongbu-ri, Seobu-ri, Bukmunoe-ri, and Nammunoe-ri out of 1dong and 15 ris of the Namcheon in Dongnae-bu.
In 1895, the old gun- system was discontinued and the place was called Suyeong after the Japanese annexation of Joseon. On October 1, 1942, in line with expansion plans of the city, Suyeong became a part of Busan-bu and the Suyeong Branch Office was established here.

Mangmi-dong

It is said that the name came from an episode of Jeongseo, a loyal subject of the Goryeo Dynasty.
When he was in exile in his home village, Dongnae (at a mountain behind the makings at Goryeo steel, Mangmi 2dong), used to bow to the direction of the King on the first and 15th day of the month.
There is another story that involves two mountains, MT. Bae and MT. Mang. At the base of MT.
Bae of the eastern part of Yeonsan, there is a Seonghwangdang (an altar for a tutelary deity), which serves the Mountain deity of Mt. Baemi. The residents of the area also call this mountain Mt. Baemi or Mt. Jalmi. Mt. Mang is a mountain between Suyeong-dong and Mangmi-dong.
It is told that the name was after these two mountains, "Mang" from MT. Mang, "Mi" from Mt. Baemi. In the past, Mangmi-dong had been a center of the Geochilsanguk during the tribe-nation period.
In the old days there, castle walls were erected around the current location of the United Hospital of the National Army.
It was called Namcheon in Dongnaebu then renamed as Namsang-myeon in Dongnae-bu. During the Japanese rule, it was called Seobu-ri, Bukmunoe-ri Nam-myeon in Dongnae-gun.

Gwangan-dong

Another name of the Gwangan-dong is Beombawui (tiger rock). The name derived from an anecdote regarding a rock with the shape of a tiger, which is currently located beside the Seongbundo dental clinic. One day, a traveler passed by a rock at dawn. He mistook the rock as a real tiger, fainted and fell.
The event threw the whole village into a great disturbance.
In the past, this place was known as Namjang for it had Makjang used for anchovy fishing on the sands of Gwangalli beach. Namjang became Gwangan, (The Chinese character "Gwang" means broad, whereas "An" means sand hill).
Later "An" was substituted by another Chinese character with a different meaning, "An" for comfortable.
In 1910 when the administrative district was founded, it became Gwangalli, Nam-myeon, Dongnae-gun. Actually the name Gwangalli was used for Namunoeri during the late Joseon Dynasty.
There was a helmet of 30 houses around today"s Suyeongro. Most of its residents made a livelihood out of fishing and farming.
Before Gwangan public Beach was open, there were five fishing grounds such as Domemak, Dwinmak, Saemak, Gulttukchimak, etc, in the offing. Normally nearby neighbors including Namcheon, Millak, Suyeong, Yeonsan-dong and even Dongnae came here for fishing, not to mention the Gwangalli residents.
Before 8.15 liberalization, the upper area of Suyeongro was called Witkkakdan (Witteum) while the lower area was called AraeKkakdan (Araettum). In the upper area, about 80 houses were scattered and they made their living by farming.

Millak-dong

About 300 years ago, there had been two large neighboring villages called Borijeon at the northern part and Neolguji at the southern part of MT. Bak. Millak-dong means that the two villages are merrily joined together and live happily. In 1914, due to administrative district reform, the two villages merged into one, Millak-dong became a part of Nam-myeon in Dongnae-gun. Neolguji indicates an upper area where a second bridge of Suyeong is located at the east side of Millak Elementary School. The name Neolguji came from the shape of the area that has a flat and large ground toward the Suyeong River. There are two stories about the name of Borijeon. Some seek its origin from an altered pronunciation of Poipojin that was built here under JwaSuyeong in the Joseon Dynasty. Another view points towards the proverb "Carrying a bag of barley, go and get the rod". The saying represents Suyeong"s old custom regarding punishment. In the Joseon Dynasty, one of the punishments of a lawbreaker was to flog a person with a cudgel. When residents of 7jin under the Jwasuyeong committed a crime, they came to a government office to receive the punishment. Since they had to wait for their turn, it was customary to prepare some food. Normally it was a bag of barley for about ten or fifteen days. When they received punishment earlier then expected, they had to sell the remains to a Suyeong resident. Therefore, it well explains how the village was named as Borijeon, a bag of barley.